Tuesday 20 August 2013

Linocut

I have been getting rather frustrated that drawing takes so long! Silly I know but I also wanted to be able to reproduce successful drawings in bulk.
So I started looking into printing techniques. A lot of them I am very familiar from doing art and design since college. The problem is, which is the least messy and doesn't involved a big ol' silk screen!
Linocut!!!! Brilliant. So I went ahead and ordered a small kit produced by Abig on Amazon.

In the meantime, I was at an event in Saint Albans and there was a guy with a pushbike and table set up promoting linocutting! What are the chances eh?! He is part of a pop up workshop called The Culture Cart
I had a little chat with him and chose one of his pre cut templates, a pair of scissors, inked up and produced a wonderful print.
Chatting to him allowed me to have a refresher and some tips on linocutting.
He suggested I have a go with softcut..... I went away chuffed to bits and on a mission to get some of this softcut.

I found softcut on various website and decided to go along with Jacksons Art Supplies, as recommended by The Culture Cart guy.

The kit from Amazon arrived and I have done some experimenting today.........
I looked up how to cut the lino as I know it can be dangerous business if not done carefully. One tip which was helpful was to warm up the lino before cutting, so I had a lamp handy and left it close to the lino. It did work and helped a lot. This was great information provided by Happydragonpress.co.uk, thank you!







I am super happy with the results and looking forwards to the softcut to arrive as I think it will be even easier to work with.




No comments:

Post a Comment